Mapping the Musical Brain

All aspects of the arts and their relationship with spirituality.

Moderator: ADMIN2016

Rumpelteazer
Group: Cheltenham

Mapping the Musical Brain

Postby Rumpelteazer » Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:58 pm

Georgina sent me the link to this Radio4 programme with Paul Robertson and Dr Peter Fenwick on BBC iPlayer:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/console/b00mrw7y

It's a fascinating account of how music affects the brain and what the brain can and can't do in terms of analysing music. I particularly enjoyed the two examples of well-known melodies played backwards (which I completely failed to guess).

Programmes on iPlayer are normally available for only seven days following the original broadcast. This programme was broadcast on 24 September, so you only have a few days to listen to it.

On a similar theme, I also enjoyed the book "This is Your Brain on Music" by Daniel Levitin.

londonoak
Group: Colet House Tuesday lunchtime

Re: Mapping the Musical Brain

Postby londonoak » Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:33 pm

We really enjoyed listening to this. No way could we get the tunes backwards! I presume I can send a link to this discussion to anyone I think would like to hear it too, but I guess it is only available on BBC for a few days.

Rumpelteazer
Group: Cheltenham

Postby Rumpelteazer » Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:52 am

londonoak wrote:We really enjoyed listening to this. No way could we get the tunes backwards! I presume I can send a link to this discussion to anyone I think would like to hear it too, but I guess it is only available on BBC for a few days.

Yes - to send a link to this discussion, just copy the link from the top of your of browser window (Select it, then Ctrl C) and paste (Ctrl V) into an email. Or you can send a direct link to the iPlayer page by going to that page and doing the same thing.

On the subject of melodies played backwards, when I was learning to recognise bird songs I was told that the way to recognise the song of the Pied Flycatcher is that it sounds like a better song played backwards! Try it and see what you think - click here. I'd love to hear it played backwards to see if it does sound better.

Dots

Postby Dots » Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:39 pm

We enjoyed the programme too and we were delighted that, despite clicking on to the Web address in the original posting about it, we still managed to hear it on the 7th December.

excalibur

Postby excalibur » Wed May 05, 2010 12:21 pm

I could not download the music affecting the brain programme and when I read the conditions of down loading it said only those in the UK could download such a pity . However I can vouch for how music affects one's healing. After a severe bout of respiratory failure and being in a coma for 5 days when I was out of the intensive care unit I had my little music unit permanently on my chest playing especially Mozart, also Sibelius and Bach, My body seemed to drink it all . I could feel the wonderful healing energies vibrating through the whole system and it so soothe and helped in my recovery.

Return to “Art, architecture, music and poetry”