User names

This is the place where users can gather to chat about anything, spiritual or non-spiritual in nature. If you have a question or comment that doesn't fit into any other forum or just want to chat, do it here.

Moderator: ADMIN2016

Rumpelteazer
Group: Cheltenham

Re: User names

Postby Rumpelteazer » Sat Dec 05, 2009 6:30 pm

I see that this subject has raised its ugly head again in the Group meetings, Papers, and Meeting Reports forum:
DickL wrote:One final point, for our Webmaster: we are disappointed that some users of the website conceal themselves behind pseudonyms. This seems contrary to the spirit of openness that you espouse, and to Satsang (truth + meeting). We really would like something to be done about this.

As explained by me and several others in the posts above, there are a number of valid reasons why people choose to register under pseudonyms. It is the norm on almost all forums and therefore experienced forum users will naturally do it. They are not necessarily trying to hide. They may just want to have each of their contributions read, appreciated and responded to based on what they have said rather than who they are. It would then make no difference whether you are an "Important Person" in the Society, a newcomer, someone in E Group, an advocate of the "New Advaita", or anything else. There is no fear, unfounded or otherwise, of being squashed, ignored or trampled on.

We are trying to make sure that this forum is a place where everyone will feel comfortable to say what they really think, to share ideas and experiences and to feel that they are being treated equally. Historically, this has not always been the case. So the forum rules and etiquette say that everyone, including all members of the Materials Committee, can choose whether or not they wish to participate under a pseudonym. What they cannot, and should not be able to do is to make that choice for other people. In my view, real unity is achieved only by accepting and welcoming differences and not by suppressing or ignoring dissenters, or forcing them to conform.

I have seen no valid arguments against pseudonyms other than that put forward by CliveH. I hope, Clive, that the suggestions given, while not ideal, will help.

While Diogenes is not one of our most gentle contributors, he is one of our most useful because he asks questions - something that used to be of great importance in the Society. I know from my own experience that being in the direct firing line of this type of question can be uncomfortable, but can sometimes help to wake me up. If you read them carefully they are just questions and not an all-out attack on something you all love, care about and do very well. If we are able to respond to such questions in a quiet, truthful, and honest way as the Committee has done in this instance, I think it can be very helpful to everyone involved. I don't see that knowing who Diogenes really is should make any difference. There can be only one truthful answer.

So please can we draw a line under this discussion? We will never agree on it. Let's recognise, appreciate and enjoy our differences. I am not prepared to use my real name in a publicly accessible forum, but as a peace offering I have signed my name on one (and only one) of my posts in the Study Society Forum in the members only area. Please can we now all be friends?

merlyn

Re: User names

Postby merlyn » Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:29 am

I would like to change my name to acquire anonymity. I thought this was going to be an open , free type,honest discussion where it was so good to think that discussions were not buried in not knowing who was saying what.. However In view of the majority electing not to use their real names, though I do agree wholeheartdly with Clive, I want to also use a pseudonym but I do not now know how to becme anonymous.
I feel a few of us who have openly talked about things and aired our opinions could so easily become mental "targets" for those reading. Though I realise one should rise above this but there it goes .So please great administrator I need your help.I want to now go under too.

Return to “The café”