Cheltenham Group Meeting 25/02/10 - Time 2

Meeting reports, papers and discussions from Cheltenham Group. All Society members are welcome to join in the discussion here.

Moderator: ADMIN2016

fiona

Cheltenham Group Meeting 25/02/10 - Time 2

Postby fiona » Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:58 am

We studied the New York Meeting’s second paper on Time. Much interest was generated by the ‘Illusion of Passing Time’ diagram (from Ouspensky’s “A New Model”) that highlights the fourth dimensional line of sequential time and the perpendicular ‘now’ lines that cross it.
Some individual comments:
- Going into particular old buildings, or seeing old objects, can bring this everyday linear acceptance of time to a halt, and enable me to come into the now.
- Re. history: the study of geneology and looking back at one’s relatives makes the significance of sequential time less important. Our present time will be seen as the past for those in the future.
- The fourth dimensional line doesn’t seem to have a psychological reality; it’s efficient on the physical level.
- Sequential time can make us feel perpetually in a hurry.
- The influence of the gunas gives us a different experience of time. E.g. time-less in Sattva; a rush in Rajas.
- Attention (e.g. when playing the piano) seems to expand time. It might be a useful exercise to guess, before checking the clock, how much time one thinks has been consumed during such an activity.
- A hypnotherapy session, when one was very relaxed, yet awake and giving attention to the practitioner’s voice, produced something similar. What appeared to be forty minutes was actually one and half hours.
- Re. the diagram - I see it as being global. Do these moments of time join up? I see the fourth dimension line as being like the equator. One has moments of feeling joined . . . a feeling of expansion (a globe) and of unity in the causal level.
- Our soul is eternal, though the body ages.
- One has a sense of our chronological age not fitting with what we feel inside.
- I have a feeling of spiritual expansion, though the body and mind are getting older. That means not fearing death, which is liberating.
- I feel it’s the brain that’s slowing down, not necessarily the mind.
- Years ago, an out of body experience showed me how the subtle body (thought) moves much faster than the physical.
- There were several examples of how, in a physical crisis (e.g. impending serious accident), time seems to slow . . . It's like the line from Ecclesiastes: "A time for every purpose” . . . Time there is related to the situation.
Re. H.H.’s Lakshman illustration:
- A friend of Ghandi’s couldn’t get to see him in the weeks before he died because Ghandi was too busy. Yet, after his death, his friend felt the reality of their relationship (emotional) was still there. It’s like when people one knows go away permanently (e.g. to another continent). Even though we don’t see them, we have a different attitude to them than if they had died. The true relationship isn’t affected.
Attachments
20100201 Time 2.doc
(42.5 KiB) Downloaded 417 times

Return to “Cheltenham Group”