Cheltenham Group Meeting 29/04/10 Faith (continued)

Meeting reports, papers and discussions from Cheltenham Group. All Society members are welcome to join in the discussion here.

Moderator: ADMIN2016

fiona

Cheltenham Group Meeting 29/04/10 Faith (continued)

Postby fiona » Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:33 pm

Cheltenham Group Meeting: 29/04/10
We continued with the paper on Faith, focussing on the discourse between Dr. Roles and H.H. on Faith and Prakriti. Some responses were:
• One member, referring to Karen Armstrong’s book “The Case for God”, said it is interesting how the meaning of the original Latin word ‘credere’ has shifted in the Church over centuries. She finds the original meaning of ‘commitment’ to be very helpful. (‘Credere’ thought to derive from ‘cord ere’ – to give one’s heart).
• Someone remembered meetings with her then teacher, Robin Amis, who suggested we develop the practice of asking ourselves, ‘What do I really want?’ She has found it to be very helpful in allowing true desire to shine through.
• Various comments: It’s as if something nudges you . . . I feel that special desire has always been there in my heart . . . For me, the good impulse came through something everyday, when I received an email telling me off.
• The importance of the Quality of a desire was discussed and of the role of Discrimination. Do we aim high enough?
• Lesser desires have a transitory ‘feel’ to them, while true desire has a quality of permanency.
• In a difficult situation, when all one’s ‘props’ fall away, then help is given.
• Observing is important. So, too, is giving up (for example, giving up one’s thoughts in meditation). Someone commented that he found giving up those to be very difficult!
• Some in the group felt that what was needed, for individual progress towards Self-Realisation and for the Society, was contact with a living teacher: that questions and answers help to ‘fire’ the pot. Someone said that she believes the answers from H.H. in the Record were directed towards Dr. Roles’ level of being, and that as she was not at that level, more help is needed. Another person felt more inclined to sense that she has all that she needs, through H.H.’s teaching and the meditation, and that spiritual changes are happening (reference to the Tamarind tree story).
This paper is generating some very interesting responses!

Return to “Cheltenham Group”