Cheltenham Group Meeting 7/10/10 The Creation & The Creator

Meeting reports, papers and discussions from Cheltenham Group. All Society members are welcome to join in the discussion here.

Moderator: ADMIN2016

fiona

Cheltenham Group Meeting 7/10/10 The Creation & The Creator

Postby fiona » Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:05 pm

The paper that we discussed is from the New York Group. As at least the first page requires quite complex unravelling of aspects of Advaita, our group taker provided us with a very helpful page of notes (attached as ‘Notes for the paper on The Creator and The Creation’).
Some comments/questions:
• Looking at Absolute and The Creation, it reminds me of why I came to the Work (uncomfortable with the sense of duality in life) and why that first mention of ‘non-duality’ had such resonance.
• Yes. I used to see the outside world as being quite absurd! I knew there had to be an answer behind the show. Question – So what was the answer? Response – For me, it began with Ouspensky and then went on. It’s all of this. There isn’t just one answer.
• This paper is hard to understand because it’s based solely on questions asked of H.H.,primarily by Dr. Roles. The relationship, developed over a period of years, must also have communicated much without words. Back in England, Dr. Roles explained what he had learnt in his papers to the Society . . . I find I understand it best when someone gives me an explanation – it reaches the right hemisphere and touches memory and then the light dawns.
• Yes. Memory is it. When I read the paper earlier, I could begin to understand it through an emotional recall of personal experience.
• Meditation is like the bridge for us between Creation and Absolute, isn’t it?
• Re. the three stages of the world – Creation, Maintenance and Destruction, and H.H.s description of their relationship to the Gunas and Vishnu, Brahma and Rudra or Shiva (p.3), the questions were raised as to what causes the destruction and is it inevitable? Someone likened it to the Law of Octaves, someone else to entropy in physics and another to the acts of a play. It is a natural process, not to be classified as ‘good’ or ‘bad’. The difficulty for us arises when, regarding ourselves as separate, we forget that we are part of nature.
Attachments
20100913 Creator and Creation.doc
(40 KiB) Downloaded 364 times
Notes for the paper on The Creator and The Creation.docx
(22.06 KiB) Downloaded 343 times

Rumpelteazer
Group: Cheltenham

Re: Cheltenham Group Meeting 7/10/10 The Creation & The Crea

Postby Rumpelteazer » Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:53 pm

Fiona has asked me to post some more explanation about the Law of Octaves. This was mentioned during the meeting in the context of it being a natural law of the universe which might be seen to explain how the universe itself and everything in it inevitably runs down to eventual annihilation. I'm not the right person to give a proper description of this law - I'm only just beginning to get a feel for it myself - but the attached paper gives an outline.

If you see it from a right hemisphere perspective, it is stunningly beautiful - unifying everything that happens, from the smallest scale to the largest, according to a single, simple, natural pattern. At a practical level, I think it can help with detachment and impartiality which was also mentioned in the New York paper. On several occasions (including this meeting) the subject of man's destruction of the environment and ultimately of mankind itself has been raised in our group. Man destroying Nature. But Man is an integral part of Nature. We can either get agitated and angry about what is happening in the world or we can, as HH instructed, be detached and see it all as the play of gunas, in accordance with the law of octaves. Awe-inspiring, magnificent and entirely natural.

We can't change what is happening in the Universe or the fact that, as HH described, we are now in the Fourth Age, Kali Yuga, where ascending the ladder (yet another octave) is much harder. What we can do is try to observe how these same natural laws operate within our own psychology and then maybe see the possibility of some changes there.
Attachments
E Group 10_09.pdf
(59.99 KiB) Downloaded 339 times

Return to “Cheltenham Group”