Meeting 24/02/11 on E Group Paper (11/04)

Meeting reports, papers and discussions from Cheltenham Group. All Society members are welcome to join in the discussion here.

Moderator: ADMIN2016

fiona

Meeting 24/02/11 on E Group Paper (11/04)

Postby fiona » Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:19 am

Cheltenham Group Meeting 24/02/11.
We studied the E Group paper (21/02/11) ‘What’s really going on?’

Differences were expressed over the view that ‘we have much less choice than we like to think’ and that ‘everything just happens’. First responses: someone found it confusing, another liberating, while another believed that he did have choice. Our group taker of the evening chose this paper because she had found it very helpful and interesting. Our ensuing discussion is highlighted here –

* Do I really have no choice? If so, does that mean I have no choice as to whether I ‘wake up’ or not?
* Exactly who are you referring to here? Remember you are made up of lots of ‘I’s, and if one them, as the paper says, ‘likes the stillness’ then this ‘allows a moment of choice’.
* It is all about stillness in the present moment.

There is always a moment of choice, however fleeting, when we are aware that we can remain quietly in the moment and simply feel the energy of whatever mechanical emotion is rushing through us, without expressing it. It is a moment of great opportunity, for that raw emotion can feed and become transformed by the stillness so that a much higher level of frequency can enter and suffuse our being.

* I believe I do have choice. It is choosing what is useful to the Atman, rather than what is not. It is to fulfill the Will of the Absolute. Rather than using the word ‘mechanical’ in regard to our psychology, I prefer ‘impediments’ or ‘impurity’.
* One of our group referred us to a very helpful section in Voyage of Discovery on ‘The Present Moment’ (pages 91-96) and another member to
Good Company I and H.H.’s comment on the two wings of the bird (p.75):

Q. It seems obvious that there is a world of consciousness as well as a world of movement. One wonders why it takes so long to discover it when it is so obvious that in that world of consciousness there is stillness and one cannot be moved.
H.H. Birds have two wings by nature and it is the interplay of both the wings which allows them to fly high in the sky. If one of the wings is cut off or put out of action, then the bird is forced to stay put on the earth and it cannot fly any more. Similarly, there are two wings of our existence – the material and the spiritual. Somehow, people seem to prefer the use of one wing only and either cling on to the material wing or the spiritual wing. Since both are naturally necessary, there is much strife in search of bliss. Unless people do realise the need to use both wings and refrain from being partial, they will be deprived of the freedom and bliss which all seek. Unless this truth is realised, the work cannot pick up speed nor can the flight into the spiritual world materialise.
Attachments
E Group Paper 11.04[1].pdf
(82.52 KiB) Downloaded 472 times

Return to “Cheltenham Group”