This week we watched Part 4 of the film “The Master of the Carriage”
Our paper focussed on the main theme of Meditation and Surrender:
We started by considering how we can become light-hearted and free of burdens. Comments included:
- Stillness is the key. Stillness is possible even in middle of activity.
- It’s just a matter of remembering Param-Atman and this is possible even in noisy, unattractive surroundings
- "Suffering is caused by negative emotions"
- "Any identification – pleasant or unpleasant – creates suffering. For example, if you think you have done a wonderful job and identify with it, it will bring its own suffering later when someone criticises it, or when you realise it's not as good as you thought. And all negative emotions arise from identification."
- Feeling sorry for oneself is also suffering, and entirely pointless and unhelpful.
On the subject of surrender another person commented “It is really a matter of doing everything for Param-Atman and allowing Param-Atman to direct our lives. Then life is happy and easy.”