request for a reading

Download papers from the archive.

Moderator: ADMIN2016

Frances
Group: Wellington Study Group Inc, New Zealand

request for a reading

Postby Frances » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:23 pm

Hi
I am pretty new to this online access to the Record...still wading my way through the "how to's"... I haven't found this story in the hard copy of the Record so maybe it is in some other Papers that Dr Roles had ? It is a story about a man sitting by the road crying and eating hot peppers... has anyone else come across this ? Frances from NZ

Administrator
Site Admin

Re: request for a reading

Postby Administrator » Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:54 pm

I've searched for the story about the peppers. It is not in the Record.

I found it used most recently in E group paper 09-14 which you can download from here.

I also found it in Dr Roles paper 1969/15, 5 May 1969.

And I also found it in a talk given by Dr Roles on 18 August 1961, ref 61/34. This was given in New Zealand, at Wakefield House, Wellington. This seems a coincidence! Is it possible that you were there?

Neither of the two papers above are available online yet. There is a big project to make available 800 of Dr Roles' papers, but they have not yet been proof read. I will attach these two papers to this message so you can read them, however please understand that they may well contain errors.
Attachments
1961_34.pdf
(77.91 KiB) Downloaded 825 times
1969_15.pdf
(32.12 KiB) Downloaded 792 times

Frances
Group: Wellington Study Group Inc, New Zealand

Postby Frances » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:51 am

Wonderful service thank you!!
I am also looking for an Ashram Discourse Jan 1976 - about a cow that wouldn't eat dry fodder till a holy man added strips of green paper - and also includes some gritty stuff about sincerity in meditation. This doesn't appear in the Record.
Kind regards
Frances
from NZ

Administrator
Site Admin

Postby Administrator » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:35 pm

I have had a good search for the cow with the green paper, but I don't have anything quite like that.

But what I did find was the following from Dr Roles papers 1961/48:

This I think is put rather picturesquely in another story from the
Shankaracharya that we have just had:-
“Our intellect can make us either Saint or thief, depending on how we use it.
There was a man in the Punjabi province who had a big, healthy cow that
gave much milk. One day it was stolen by a man from another province. The
cow was used to fresh green grass, but now there was only straw to eat. So
she became thin and gave little milk, and no one could advise him what to
do. One day a Saint came to the village and he said: “It is very simple; just
put a green eyeshade over her eyes and she will think the straw is green grass.”
The advice was gratefully accepted, and the cow happily began to eat again
and gave quantities of milk.”

(It ended): “So it is with men: this world easily deceives us because our intellect
is covered over by habitual wrong thoughts.”

This seems to be a very similar story.

Rumpelteazer
Group: Cheltenham

Postby Rumpelteazer » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:27 pm

Here is some "gritty stuff about sincerity in meditation" - but without a cow story. Will this do?
H.H. (Record 1964 P150) wrote:Q. (S. of M.) How does one use attention gained during meditation in worldly actions after meditation?

S. In the beginning stage the gain is small, so one doesn’t really have much attention to use. By practice and sincere meditation one grows the power of attention, which can be used after meditation. In six months of sincere meditation one can easily store enough to last ten times the time of meditation. But people sometimes meditate for the sake of meditation or feel duty pressed or may be they do it for show. Such meditation is no meditation. It is waste of time. Sincere meditation even for ten minutes is helpful. In deep meditation one meets void first, but as our nature is we like to cling to something, and if there is nothing there most people get frightened and come out to dwell in their fanciful imaginings. To be sincere is to stay there, in that void which contains the Atman. This is the simplest method to reach the Source of All and Everything. Other systems (which I avoid mentioning) have the hard systems, and there it was found that very many disciples gave up such systems because of the (rigid) discipline. Their impurities come out on the surface and rebel against the discipline. Those who survive get along the Way. The method of meditation is comparatively very easy. Easy for anyone, but one has to be sincere to do this.

Return to “Archive papers”